All products featured on Vogue are independently selected by our editors. However, we may earn affiliate revenue on this article and commission when you buy something.
Let’s say you’ve crafted the best skin-care routine but are looking for a more customized regimen. This is where the best face masks come in. Along with leading beauty tools (think: the viral Solawave wand or the sculpting NuFace device), face masks are known to supercharge your complexion after just a short treatment.
The Best Face Masks:
- For Dry Skin: Valmont Prime Renewing Pack, $245
- For Mature Skin: Natura Bissé Diamond Extreme Mask, $120
- For a Sheet Mask: 111Skin Rose Gold Brightening Facial Treatment Mask Box, $135
- For Firming: Hanacure The All-In-One Facial, $110
- For Exfoliating: Peter Thomas Roth Pumpkin Enzyme Mask Enzymatic Dermal Resurfacer, $52
- For Soothing: SkinCeuticals Biocellulose Restorative Mask, $130
- For Multitasking: Danucera Cerabalm, $55
- For Acne-Prone Skin: Biologique Recherche Masque Vivant, $84
- For Overnight: La Prairie Skin Caviar Luxe Sleep Mask, $445
- For Brightening: Tata Harper Resurfacing Mask, $68
“Incorporating face masks into your regimen has many benefits,” says board-certified dermatologist Dr. Lian Mack. “Depending on the mask and the desired outcome, masks can improve exfoliation, unclog pores, hydrate, create a mattifying effect, or reduce inflammation.” Keep in mind that face masks for skin care are not quite necessities but rather supplemental. As dermatologist Dr. Chris Tomassian puts it, “Face masks are definitely not a must in a skin-care routine but can be a great addition to an existing routine to help further target a specific concern.” Danuta Mieloch, esthetician and founder of Rescue Spa in New York City, agrees—emphasizing that because our skin constantly changes, we must treat it accordingly each day. Blemishes or oiliness warrant a different mask than, say, dryness or wrinkles. Either way, just be sure to embrace your masking session as a meditative moment of self-care.
So, how exactly do you discern which face mask is best for you? “In general, face masks are higher concentrations of ingredients that you likely use in your routine already, so focus on the ingredient you want to highlight,” says Tomassian. Formulations aside, Mack says how the mask feels on the skin is equally important. “The mask should feel hydrating and should easily spread across the skin when stretched.” With this guidance in mind, read on to discover the best face masks to treat every concern.
For Dry Skin: Valmont Prime Renewing Pack
- Why We Love It: If quelling dry skin is your number one priority, Mieloch calls Valmont’s Renewing Pack the “thirst quencher.” Enriched with the brand’s cellular prime complex and peptides, this creamy mask looks to deeply condition the skin, smooth fine lines, and boost your complexion.
- More to Know: To use as a face mask, leave on a thick layer for up to 20 minutes, then remove with a damp cloth.
For Mature Skin: Natura Bissé Diamond Extreme Mask
- Why We Love It: From wrinkles to dark spots, this mask by Natura Bissé works wonders to quell signs of aging. The formula is powered by the market’s best skin-firming ingredients like hyaluronic acid, retinol, and copper peptides to instantly revitalize your complexion.
- More to Know: Because this is meant to be left on overnight, the Diamond Extreme Mask can seamlessly supplement any routine.
For a Sheet Mask: 111Skin Rose Gold Brightening Facial Treatment Mask Box
- Why We Love It: Mieloch is also a fan of 111Skin’s rose gold mask. We’re eyeing it as the best sheet mask because it has the ability to quickly rejuvenate your complexion. In fact, celebrity makeup artist Georgie Eisdell reached for it to prep Dakota Johnson’s skin for the 2022 Met Gala. Enriched with colloidal gold, peptides, and rose damask, this promises to tighten, plump, and smooth skin.
- More to Know: Just leave the hydrogel mask on for 20 minutes to experience an instant glow-up.
For Firming: Hanacure The All-In-One Facial
- Why We Love It: Hanacure’s All-in-One Facial is a Vogue editor favorite to achieve firmer, brighter skin in just a few minutes. The K-beauty treatment pairs beta-glucan, lotus leaf, and regenerative peptides to slough away impurities and smooth fine lines.
- More to Know: Once you combine the Octolift ampoule and solution, leave the treatment on for 15 to 20 minutes, then rinse with warm water.
For Exfoliating: Peter Thomas Roth Pumpkin Enzyme Mask Enzymatic Dermal Resurfacer
- Why We Love It: For an exfoliating treatment, Mack recommends this Peter Thomas Roth mask. “This contains pumpkin enzymes to help resurface the skin and AHAs to help chemically exfoliate the skin resulting in smoother, brighter skin.” There are also aluminum oxide crystals to gently polish the skin’s surface.
- More to Know: According to Peter Thomas Roth, massage a thin layer in circular motions with wet fingertips to activate the crystals. Leave on for three to seven minutes, and rinse thoroughly.
For Soothing: SkinCeuticals Biocellulose Restorative Mask
- Why We Love It: “This sheet mask provides intense and immediate hydration resulting in a calming, soothing effect,” says Mack. According to SkinCeuticals, It utilizes impregnated biocellulose fibers to immediately relieve and cool the skin.
- More to Know: That said, Mack even uses this frequently on her patients after in-office procedures. To experience its soothing benefits, apply the sheet mask for 10 to 15 minutes, then discard.
For Multitasking: Danucera Cerabalm
- Why We Love It: Think of Cerablam as the do-it-all product in your beauty cabinet, particularly if you’re low on time. From Mieloch’s line, Danucera, the balm is powered by a blend of botanical oils (hibiscus, apricot kernel, meadowfoam, and sea buckthorn) and spirulina proteins to quench thirsty skin, reduce the appearance of hyperpigmentation, smooth texture, and impart a radiant glow.
- More to Know: Touting multi-use benefits, this can be left on for two to five minutes as a face mask, or can slough away impurities during a double cleanse.
For Acne-Prone Skin: Biologique Recherche Masque Vivant
- Why We Love It: “This contains vitamin B, which is like the energy vitamin for the skin,” says Mieloch. “It gives your skin brightness, [purifies] pores, and targets acne.” What’s more, it’s also enriched with live yeast extracts and lactic acid to regulate sebum production and reduce breakouts.
- More to Know: As a potent acne-fighting treatment, Biologique Recherche’s Masque Vivant should be left on the face, neck, and décolleté for 15 minutes and removed with a wet washcloth.
For Overnight: La Prairie Skin Caviar Luxe Sleep Mask
- Why We Love It: Don’t underestimate the power of beauty sleep! La Prairie’s elixir is powered by the rejuvenating properties of caviar extract and the brand’s cellular complex to transform skin while you sleep. When you awaken, expect taut, supple, glowing skin.
- More to Know: Smooth this rich cream across your entire face, avoiding the eye area, with the included brush, then allow it to dry completely. Simply leave it on overnight and rinse with warm water in the morning.
For Enlarged Pores: Kiehl’s Rare Earth Deep Pore Minimizing Cleansing Clay Mask
- Why We Love It: “Kiehl’s Rare Earth Deep Pore Minimizing Cleansing Clay Mask uses kaolin clay to draw out oil and impurities from your pores and minimize the appearance of them,” explains Tomassian, who says this is non-drying and great for all skin types.
- More to Know: To smooth the look of pores, Kiehl’s recommends applying the mask to damp skin, leave on for ten minutes, then remove using a damp towel.
For Brightening: Tata Harper Resurfacing Mask
- Why We Love It: Interested in a glowing complexion? Look no further than the Tata Harper Resurfacing Mask. Through a blend of pomegranate enzymes, willow bark extract, pink clay, and other powerhouse botanicals, this mask promises to transform dull skin.
- More to Know: According to Tata Harper, apply a thick layer to the face and neck, leave on for 20 minutes, and rinse with warm water.
For Hyperpigmentation: Augustinus Bader The Face Cream Mask
- Why We Love It: Augustinus Bader’s TFC8 technology is certainly one of the market’s most-coveted ingredients, a complex that powers its Face Cream Mask. That, alongside ginseng extract and vitamin C, helps hydrate, firm, and plump the skin while reducing hyperpigmentation and evening tone.
- More to Know: To use, apply this to the face, neck, and décolleté in upward motions and leave on for eight to ten minutes. You can also sport overnight if you desire.
For Sensitive Skin: Laneige Cica Sleeping Mask
- Why We Love It: “This Laneige sleeping mask contains cica, also known as centella asiatica, [which is] well known for reducing inflammation and redness,” Mack explains, making it excellent for sensitive skin types. “[It] also incorporates shea butter and squalene, adding moisture to the skin and locking in hydration overnight.”
- More to Know: The mask is best applied as the last step in your nighttime regimen and then rinsed off in the morning.